Working as a Team

Growing up I always listened to my mom and dad. They guided my choices and taught me right from wrong. They allowed me to make mistakes, but helped me learn from them. They were the ones I always turned to when I needed help. I remember when I first got married and had a decision to make I quickly called my mom on the phone so that she could help me analyze it. I remember the words she said that day; she said, “I am no longer your person... I will always be here for you, but you need to talk to your husband and cleave unto him. I love you and by you doing this your marriage will be successful.” I heeded her advice and from that day forward I have consulted my husband in all things. I attribute our successful marriage to us working together.
As we work together as a team we must do so as parents and partners. Below are some ideas to make our marriage continue to flourish as we work together.

As Parents:
As parents we are responsible for leading our homes. We get to teach our children to return to our Father in Heaven. We stand as a united front with our kids and our decisions we make. What happens when you don’t agree with another’s parenting method or discipline? 
Unless abuse is happening we stand next to each other and support them. We meet together after to talk about the concerns we have with the way things are/were handled.
We don’t always agree with one another, but we still stand united. We have not always been this way, but we have learned from time and experience this is the best way to be. 

As Partners:
My husband gives me all the respect in the world. He helps around the house, helps with the kids, and is a champion when it comes to yard work. We work together to accomplish the tasks of parenting, marriage, and home ownership. Never has he made me feel less than his equal. Gordon B. Hinkley said, “Marriage, in its truest form is a partnership of equals, with neither exercising dominion over the other, but rather, with each encouraging and assisting the other in whatever responsibilities and aspirations he or she might have.”

Albert Camus said, “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” If we could just apply this to our marriages the world would be a better place and our homes would be happier. 

Serving One Another:
“A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on one another.”
My husband never gives up on me. Daily he serves me by working hard to support our family. He serves me by helping me clean the house because I didn’t have time to do it that day because I spent 10 hours doing homework; he serves me by laughing with the kids and playing with them while I listen to math lectures and study groups; most importantly he never gives up on me as I try to control every situation with my type A personality. How could I have married such a perfect person? He does this out of love and service for me, just like your spouse does the tiny things that mean so much to you. He has taught me what service is. He has taught me how to love more fully because of the service he performs daily for me. I am forever indebted to him for the lesson she teaches me daily and the acts of kindness he offers the kids and me. As we serve one another we learn and we grow and we become one and our marriage is perfected. 

As our children Grow Up:

As our children grow up and become adults we will no longer be able to guide them like we do now. We will get the opportunity to give the counsel my mom gave to me so many years ago, “I am no longer your person…” We will always love them, but we will get the chance to see them love someone like we love our spouses. We must let them live their own lives. We will get to see what we have taught them from a distance and allow their marriages to flourish as ours has through our hard work, teamwork and dedication.

Comments

Popular Posts